Wednesday, January 22, 2014

prayers for strangers

I was in the adoration chapel, praying for God's mercy, tears welling up in my eyes. I committed to pray the rosary especially when i feel like crying. At least this way, my eyes and lips get to do something worthwhile. After the sign of the cross, i stood up, went to get my shoes, then i heard a woman's voice calling "Miss, miss". A reflex to such impersonal recognition, i looked at her. She was cradling her son, who had Down's syndrome. "Yes po?", i politely asked her, half expecting her to ask for alms. "Miss, makiusap lang po ako. Ipag-pray nyo naman po ang anak ko na sana matanggap sya sa Down's syndrome society. Marami po kasing benefits dun." That took a while to register until i told her, "opo ma'am. Isasama ko po sya sa dasal ko parati". "Salamat po" was her joyful reply.

I was still processing what happened. And what could that have meant at this time of my life. I went to hear mass after. At the end of the mass, i sat down for a while. Collecting my thoughts, trying to control my own sorrows, when i heard someone sniffling. I looked to my left and kneeling on the next row of pews was a girl, crying and praying. I have seen and been through such depression, and i know how one can be left hopeless enough to succumb to crying while praying. I can feel her heart's pain as she wipes down every tear that falls on her cheek. I am not sure if i should approach her or leave her in her solitude. Helpless as she is, i knelt down and prayed to God to have mercy on her and to ease her pain.

It's been more than a week and i have been praying for God to have mercy on me and to show me miracles. But each time i do, i tend to believe that  these two strangers are my miracles. I pray for them daily and may God show them His mercy.

22 january 2014

----------o0o----------

Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see.
---C.S. Lewis



No comments:

Post a Comment