Monday, February 27, 2012

stop and feel


I had my clinic today. Not much patients plus I had the help of a very smart intern.



One of my continuity patients I saw was someone I have seen for more than 2 years. I remember her the first time, she was a symptom salad, meaning she always had something to complain. There is always something wrong with her body. There is always something painful. But whenever I do a physical examination, it is always normal. It came to a point that she was dictating the examination she wanted done. Just so I'll get her off my back, they were done- lab exams, imaging, even if it's not cost effective.




One day she visited me a lot earlier than her scheduled appointment, she came with more vague, persistent pain. It actually came to this point that I told her I have nothing else to do for her. She is spending a lot on unnecessary tests and everything seems to be in her mind. I do not know what prompted me to ask but I just had to ask her if she is stressed, or is she having problems. Apparently, she's having a difficult family life- getting separated from her husband and family.



I did not know what to say. At that time I was really rushing my patients since I have a lot more to see. But that revelation made me slow down a little. I had to explain to her the psychosomatic symptoms she was experiencing. Some were real, but others were in her head. It was only then that I realized, she was coming because she wanted to talk to someone- and she chose me, her doctor.


Sometimes, treating the body makes me forget the whole person. That there is the mind and the heart to heal as well. And as simple as a pat on the arm or a listening ear, heals these ailments. My patient visited me after 6 months. No symptoms. Just a fragrant perfume which she gave me for valentine's day. I'll be seeing her again in 6 months.


Feb 16, 2012


"True contentment comes with empathy"
--Tim Finn

No comments:

Post a Comment