Monday, February 27, 2012

between strangers




Two strangers gave me advice on love today.

One was a patient beside me who was waiting for almost 3 hours to see his cardiologist. He is a Filipino, but a retired US employee. He came back here in the Philippines when he retired and he is staying here for good even if he is a US citizen. By force of habit I asked him if is it because of his family. His reply was a very polite "unfortunately, I'm divorced." He told me that his wife is a Filipina but they met in the US and they have a child. But he must be unlucky in love. And he wishes that I will not suffer the same fate as his.





Unfortunately (or luckily), I was called inside the clinic for my meeting with the doctor. It was a business meeting. It was my first time to meet him and he was thanking me for personally meeting him. He told me about his life and how his health is starting to fail him with his asthma attacks (including showing me his inhalers), and that he was more than twice my age. Then he asked me if I was married. My answer was a simple "no." And he seemed delighted.


Then came the advice of not rushing into love. Given our profession, he told me, I need to find someone who will understand the physical, mental and emotional demands of being a doctor and continued explaining that I am still young (really?) and should take my time. Towards the end, his parting words were "always use both your heart and head. You have both, so use them. Not just your head, and goodness, not just your heart."



I don't know if it was the rainy weather, or God's hand that gave me these unsolicited talks. But maybe the matters of the heart are part of the conversation in the office of a cardiologist.




Feb 16, 2012


And think not you can
Direct the course of love,
For love,
If it finds you worthy,
Directs your course.

--Khalil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment